Bronchitis is an inflammation, swelling or infection of the bronchial tubes between the nose and the lungs. It is usually caused by a virus, bacteria, or particles that irritate the bronchial tubes.
Some other causes of this ailment are as follows:
- Cough and cold
- Changes in the atmosphere
- Dusty air or fog
The common symptoms experienced by adults or children are chest pain or tightening of chest, complications in breathing, coughing with mucous (greenish or yellowish), fever, muscle ache, nasal congestion, and tiredness.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for bronchitis:
The antiviral as well as antibacterial properties of honey are considered useful to treat bronchitis. Honey helps soothe the throat. Moreover, it also builds strong immune system. You can use honey in different ways such as:
- Add one teaspoon of honey in a regular cup of tea.
- Add half teaspoon of honey with a pinch of black pepper, fresh ginger paste, and 1-2 clove powder. Consume this paste to ward off burning sensation.
- To reduce throat inflammation and congestion, add a few drops of lemon in warm water. Add one teaspoon honey to it and drink it after stirring well.
- Slice an onion in a plate or bowl and cover it with honey. Leave it overnight. Now, remove onion slices and take one teaspoon of honey four times a day to get instant relief.
The immune building and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger not only help treating cold, but also sore and inflamed bronchial tubes.
- Prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon each of pepper, ginger powder, and cloves. Add a little amount of this mixture in milk or honey and have it thrice a day to get relief.
- Prepare a powder of ground ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Add half teaspoon of this mixture in a glass of hot water. Drink the mixture after stirring it well. To get relief, try this remedy for a few days.
- For instant relief, you can also prepare herbal tea. For this, you need to add one teaspoon each of black pepper and ginger powder in a cup of boiling water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes. After sometime, add honey in it and stir well. Drink this herbal tea two times a day.
Due to its antibiotic and anti-viral properties, garlic is highly beneficial for treating bronchitis, especially acute bronchitis.
- Take three garlic cloves.
- Peel and chop them.
- Put them in a glass of milk and boil.
- Drink it at night before going to bed.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is very effective treatment for bronchitis. Use it in steam therapy to soften the mucus. The antibacterial properties of the oil heal burning sensation and inflamed throat. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water. Then, cover your head with a towel and breathe in the steam. You can also use tea tree oil or pine oil also, in place of eucalyptus oil.
- Alternatively, eucalyptus oil can be applied on the chest directly. This will aid proper functioning of respiratory system and also drive out the excess mucus.
The expectorant effect of onions helps dissolve mucus and phlegm, thereby providing relief from bronchitis. At the same time, onion juice will prevent further buildup.
- Simply eat one teaspoon of raw onion juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Also add raw onions in your salad or use onions while cooking.
6. Bay Leaf
Bay leaf is one the simplest herbal cures for bronchitis. It can be taken as tea. To prepare tea, heat a cup of water till it starts boiling. Take a fresh bay leaf and put it in boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Another option is to soak bay leaves in hot water. Apply it as poultice on chest. Cover the chest with a towel. Rewarm it whenever it cools down.
7. Epsom Salt
An Epsom salt bath can give relief from bronchitis symptoms, especially when suffering from acute bronchitis.
- To prepare the bath, add two to three pounds (one to one and a half kg) of Epsom salt to warm bath water.
- When the Epsom salt is fully dissolved, immerse yourself in the bath for about a half an hour.
- If you have chronic bronchitis, do this twice a week. For acute bronchitis, do this every night or every other night.
To get relief in cough associated with bronchitis, turmeric is the best natural remedy. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric pull out the excess mucus, which ultimately provides relief. For this, you are supposed to add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Stir it well and boil for some time. Drink the hot mixture twice or thrice a day. For effective results, try having this in an empty stomach.
Since lemon is rich in citrus properties, it helps one get rid of bronchitis. Boil a cup of water and grate a teaspoon of lemon rind in it. Steep it for a few minutes.
- You can also boil a lemon wedge. Strain the water in a cup and drink it.
- To treat a sore throat, add one teaspoon of lemon juice in a cup of warm water. Stir it well and gargle with it.